Early Education and Care for all Families
TenderCare is open from 6:00 AM to 6:00 PM Monday through Friday. We provide services to children 6 weeks to 12 years at either the 5229 Capitol Drive Site or the 5305 Capitol Drive Site. TenderCare will not discriminate in providing services to children and their families on the basis of race, religion, cultural heritage, political beliefs, marital status, disability or sexual orientation. We are fully accredited and licensed to ensure early education and care that is high quality and safe for your child.
In 1979 TenderCare Christian Child Care was created as a ministry of the Capital Drive Lutheran Church to provide nurturing care and education to children of working and student parents. The action and vision of the initial group of individuals who conceived the idea has established its vision for quality child care over the past 38 years in the surrounding community. Because children with a wide range of talents and needs are actively learning together at TenderCare, the world of potential within each child unfolds. By encouraging collaboration among staff, parents and community resources that offer a wide range of services, we provide a nurturing learning environment that supports each child’s individual growth.
The Mission of TenderCare as an outreach program of Capitol Drive Lutheran Church is:
- To provide an environment of safety, social, emotional and intellectual growth for children 6 weeks to 12 years in a Christian learning environment
- To support parents with dependable and trustworthy early education and care
- To provide an environment to employees that is professional and encouraging
To add stability to the community through services to children, parents and employees in partnership with Capitol Drive Lutheran Church
Why Choose TenderCare?
- We maintain the highest of quality standards at both our site locations with a 5-Star YoungStar rating (link to accreditation page).
- The TenderCare Child Care Center educational philosophy is based on the child development model which incorporates key experiences and discovery or in other words child-centered.
- Our curriculum is designed to focus on the creative, emotional, intellectual, physical and social growth of each child.
- Teachers use guiding principles and best practices in sharing, experiences and goals that children are learning through communication and bridging home life learning with TenderCare learning experiences allowing families and staff to support a child together.
- We encourage the development of critical thinking skills, creativity, imagination and self-expression. Learning through play is viewed as the cornerstone of the curriculum.
- Our teachers provide protection, security, stimulation, support, limits, and affection while seeing to create an environment for learning.
- Children are given the opportunity to explore materials and participate in a variety of experiences.
- Our primary goal is for children to feel safe and secure.
- Children are treated with respect and kindness.
- We recognize that children develop at different rates and have different interests. Small group size and appropriate teacher-child ratios allow for meeting the individual needs of each child.
- Staff recognizes, appreciates and respects the uniqueness of each child.
Diversity in enrollment and in the classroom
TenderCare enrolls children of any race, color, national and ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally accorded or made available to all children enrolled at the Center. The Center does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, age, disability or national origin in the administration of its educational policies, admission policies or other center-administered programs.
TenderCare Staff recognizes the diversity of family structures and lifestyles. Our programs help children to learn that there are many different interpretations of the family, all of which are normal and that each child does belong to a family. Additionally, we believe it is important to recognize the variety of roles of the family members in different families (e.g. Mother working, father staying at home, etc). The programs aim to allow children to appreciate these differences.
TenderCare Child Care is committed to cultural diversity approaches embedded in the education plan. The children, families, staff and the local community represent a variety of cultural backgrounds. We strive to create a program that truly reflects this diversity. By recognizing the impact culture plays on families, Staff make every effort to provide culturally responsive care and education by acknowledging human differences and the right of people to make choices about their own lifestyle.
Children with Special Needs
The Center Philosophy of providing care for all children incorporates meeting the special needs of all children. Children develop at their own rate, with their own range of abilities, interests, personalities and needs. It is through positive attitudes and interactions with children with special needs that integration and inclusion is achievable.